dummy adj : having the appearance of being real but lacking capacity to function; "a dummy corporation"
1 a person who does not talk [syn: silent person]
3 a figure representing the human form
4 a cartridge containing an explosive charge but no bullet [syn: blank, blank shell] v : make a dummy of; "dummy up the books that are to be published" [syn: dummy up] [also: dummied]
- Rhymes: -ʌmi
- A silent person; a person who does not talk.
- An unintelligent person.
- Don't be such a dummy!
- A figure of a person or animal used by a ventriloquist.
- Something constructed with the size and form of a human, to be
used in place of a person.
- To understand the effects of the accident, we dropped a dummy from the rooftop.
- A deliberately nonfunctional device or tool used in place of a functional
- The hammer and drill in the display are dummies.
- In the context of "Australia|UK": A pacifier.
- The baby wants its dummy.
- The partner of the winning bidder, who shows his or her hand.
- A bodily gesture meant to fool an opposing player in sport; feints.
- A word serving only to make a construction grammatical.
- The pronoun "it" in "It's a mystery why this happened" is a dummy.
- An unused parameter or value.
- If flag1 is false, the other parameters are dummies.
something constructed with the size and form of a human
for a baby
nonfunctional device or tool used in place of a functional one
- German: Attrappe
Dummy may refer to:
dummy:**dummy round -
a cartridge that is inert, i.e. contains neither bullet nor
- decoy - fake military equipment intended to deceive the enemy
- Crash test dummy, a full-scale replica of a human being, weighted and articulated to simulate the behavior of a human body in an accident
- Dummy, another term, mainly British English, for pacifier
- Steam dummy, or dummy engine, was a steam engine made to resemble a railroad passenger coach
- Mannequin, model of the human body used for a variety of purposes
- Ventriloquist's dummy
- dummy, in printing, mock-up to demonstrate layout of printed product
In language and literature:
- In the card game of contract bridge, the partner of the player who wins the auction
- Dummy reversal, technique in contract bridge to draw the opponents' remaining trump cards
- Dummy Hoy, an American center fielder in Major League Baseball
- Dummy (football), a football (soccer) technique
- Muk Yan Jong, a wooden dummy used in Chinese martial arts training
- Crash Test Dummies, a Canadian folk-rock band formed in the 1990s
- Dummy (album), a 1994 album by Portishead
- Dummy (film), a 2002 drama film/comedy film
- "The Dummy", an episode of The Twilight Zone
- Dummy (comics), a fictional character from the comic book X-Men
- Dummy (Pushing Daisies episode), The second episode of the first season of "Pushing Daisies"
In programming, mathematics and electronics:
- Dummy code, coding that's not used in the final product, but left in to avoid creating bugs
- Dummy data, data in a database, computer memory, or other repository used as a placeholder or for testing purposes only
- A bound variable, also known as dummy variable, such as the parameter x in the function definition f(x) =
- Dummy variable, also known as indicator variable, only taking the values 0 and 1 and used in regression analysis
- Dummy load, a device used to simulate an electrical load, usually for testing purposes
- Dummy file, files used to fit the space in data optical discs
See also fake.
dummy in German: Dummy
dummy in Portuguese: Dummy
Boeotian, Charlie McCarthy, Intertype, Linotype, Monotype, a nobody, a nothing, ace, adherent, advocate, affected, agent, alter ego, alternate, alternative, amicus curiae, analogy, ancilla, apocryphal, appliance, artificial, ass, assumed, attorney, backup, backup man, bastard, best bower, block, blockhead, bogus, bower, brummagem, burlesque, bust, cards, carving, champion, change, changeling, cheat, cipher, clay model, clinquant, clod, clubs, cold-type typesetting, colorable, colored, common man, comparison, composing, composing stick, composition, computerized typesetting, contrivance, copy, counterfeit, counterfeited, creature, deaf-mute, deck, deputy, deuce, device, diamonds, dimwit, disciple, distorted, doll, dolly, dolt, donkey, dope, double, dressed up, dud, dullard, dullhead, dumb cluck, dumbbell, dummkopf, dunce, dupe, duplication, embellished, embroidered, equal, equivalent, ersatz, exchange, executive officer, exponent, face cards, facsimile, factitious, fake, faked, fakement, false, falsified, fantoccini, feigned, fictitious, fictive, figure, figurehead, figurine, fill-in, flunky, flush, follower, fool, forgery, frame-up, fraud, front, front man, full house, furniture, galley chase, garbled, ghost, ghostwriter, gillie, gingerbread man, go-between, goon, gowk, hand, handmaid, handmaiden, hanger-on, hearts, henchman, hoax, hollow man, hot-metal typesetting, idiot, ignoramus, illegitimate, imitation, implement, imposition, impostor, insignificancy, instrument, interagent, intermediary, intermediate, intermedium, jack, jackal, jackstraw, jobbernowl, joker, junk, junky, justification, king, knave, knockoff, lackey, lackwit, lamebrain, lay figure, layout, left bower, lever, lieutenant, lightweight, likeness, line of type, little fellow, little guy, locum, locum tenens, looby, loon, make-believe, makeshift, man, man of straw, man-made, manikin, mannequin, mannikin, marionette, mechanism, mediator, mediocrity, medium, metaphor, metonymy, midwife, minion, mock, mock-up, model, monument, moron, mute, myrmidon, nebbish, next best thing, niais, nincompoop, ninny, ninnyhammer, nitwit, nobody, nobody one knows, noddy, nominal head, nonentity, nothing, nullity, numskull, obscurity, organ, pacifier, pack, pair, paranymph, paraphrase, parody, paste, pawn, personnel, perverted, phony, photocomposition, photosetting, phototypesetter, phototypesetting machine, picture cards, pilot model, pinch, pinch hitter, pinchbeck, pip-squeak, playing cards, plaything, pleader, portrait bust, pretended, procurator, provisional, proxy, pseudo, punk, puppet, pushover, put, put-on, put-up job, quasi, queen, queer, quoin, relief, replacement, replica, representation, representative, reprint, reproduction, reserve, reserves, ringer, rip-off, round, royal flush, rubber, ruff, runt, sample, satellite, scarecrow, scrub, sculpture, second in command, second string, secondary, self-styled, servant, setting, sham, shoddy, shrimp, sign, simpleton, simulacrum, simulated, simulation, singleton, slave, slug, small fry, small potato, small potatoes, snowman, so-called, soi-disant, spades, spare, spares, spurious, squirt, squit, stand-in, statuary, statue, statuette, stooge, stopgap, straight, stupid, sub, substituent, substitute, substitution, succedaneum, superseder, supplanter, supposititious, surrogate, swindle, sycophant, symbol, synecdoche, synthetic, tentative, thickwit, thing of naught, third string, thug, tin, tinsel, titivated, token, tool, toy, travesty, trey, trick, trifle, trump, twisted, typesetting, typesetting machine, unauthentic, understudy, ungenuine, unnatural, unreal, utility, utility man, utility player, vehicle, version, vicar, vicar general, vicarious, vice, vice-president, vice-regent, vicegerent, votary, warped, wax figure, waxwork, whiffet, whippersnapper, whited sepulcher, witling, wood carving, wood model, yes-man, zero